Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Intellectual Defeatism

Just wanted to say it has been quite busy here because of the work having come back from vacation and preparing for my daughter in law and son's twins, which are to arrive any day now.

Intellectual defeatism

This statement reminded me of the idea about what is left for some to ponder, while we rely on our instincts to peer into the unknown, and hopefully land in a place that is correlated somehow in our future.

This again is being bold to me, because there are no rules here about what a schooling may provide for, what allows an individual the freedoms to explore great unknowns for them. For sure education then comes to check what these instincts have provided, and while being free to roam the world, sometimes it does find a "certain resonance" in what is out there.

Is this then a sign of what intellectual defeatism is about?

I want to give an example here about my perceptions about what sits in the valleys in terms of topological formations, that until now I had no way of knowing would become a suitable explanation for me, "about what is possible" even thought this represented a many possibility explanation in terms of outcomes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Plato,

    I suspect the comment you refer to was the conclusion of one I made on BackReaction. Yes, I do feel that the main motivation for many of the current popular positions in physics such as many worlds, no bang beginnings or simply this data mining being proposed as the direction for physics is simply resultant of avoiding the big question “why” by answering it with “because”. That’s the same answer given a young child when one looses patients or are too embarrassed to admit they don’t know the answer. So as far as I’m concerned they can stop wondering, yet I won’t. I wouldn't consider this bold, simply logical.

    Best,

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil,

    You were correct in the assumption of the relation to that comment.

    I am glad you answered before I gave the example. So that you see the efforts are an ongoing example of the relationship between mathematics and the observable real world.

    Bee does not subscribe to such ism's, but certainly falls under it's reaches, even though such a claim is made.

    The reticence to Tegmark as an example, is grounded as well in understanding the mathematics that was forming in this topological aspect, historically beginning with Klein and Poincaré was one relation that exchanged their notes to each other.

    Peter Woit is an example of this giving meaning too, "intellectual defeatism" by declaring "such notions" as well, and this has been the essence of what I see as a move away from string theory for many, without understanding this deeper relationship between the mathematics and the real world.

    Of course, who am I deficient of all the aspect of mathematics and it's relations, to point out such a thing, while this may be reverted back to the standing of a "philosophical relation" as to the inception of mathematics and such, from that logical beginning?

    Our perspective have been pushed back and "no big bang" whether in the conception of the LHC or not, has removed this understanding.

    Our perceptions are being pushed back, whether one can agree in principle or not. Such declaration then have become part of the illusion being perpetrated on the assuming public once again while we think the slight of hand has been our relations to the LHC and it's kind as we understand the constituents of particle dissemination form such collision processes.

    I do not like for people to think I am in any relation to the lawsuit that was being formed from others.

    Mine has been a sole pursuit in my comprehensions and relations to dig out the understanding that is being presented for the public through sciences avenues of exploration.

    I do rest heavily and rely on the experiments that have been produced in it's methods, to look farther, as these are set from the foundations and plateau, for further explorations.

    Next couple of posts will deal with Poincaré and Klein and lead to an interesting relation that find great meaning for me as to the instincts I am following.

    ReplyDelete